Wednesday, January 7, 2015

New Year's Resolutions

Happy 2015!

In the interest of full disclosure, I have to admit that this blog took a break while we went to Hawaii to visit my husband's family.  I can't say that flying halfway around the world particularly counts as either "fast" or "cheap," but it certainly was good.

Most of the time, sustainable living folks talk about maintaining some sort of radius of operation on their activities.  They try to eat foods grown/produced within a 100 mile radius, or they try to reduce their living or transportation footprint. I'll have more to say about this in a future blog, but I do admit to feeling a certain amount of guilt that we like to travel.  I do think we are pretty careful the rest of the time, but the reality is that the ability is there to see the world, and we try to take advantage of it when time and money permit.

In any case, my new year's resolutions for sustainable living are to put more effort into my FC&G lifestyle.  I feel like I let things slip a bit toward the end of 2014.  We had some emergencies arise, we were both busy, and somehow I think I let my attention slip away from some of the activities I think are important.  Therefore, I'd like to rededicate myself to:


  • Cooking more complete, healthy meals that throw off lots of leftovers.
  • Being more cost-effective with our grocery shopping, particularly in regards to clipping the e-coupons that our store regularly offers.
  • Taking on little occasional projects, like rebatching soap.  I have a whole jar of soap slivers that need to be ground and either made into new bars or used as the base for laundry detergent.
  • Getting some winter crops planted in the sunroom and the sunny windows.  I'm ready to put in some lettuces and radishes, and I will soon be planting another round of ginger.
In regard to earning, which is part of sustaining a living, my goals include:


I've got a lot to get a handle on during 2015.  What are your sustainable living goals?
Pin It!

No comments :

Post a Comment