Sunday, November 10, 2013

How Much Does a Garden Grow: October 2013

First, welcome to everyone who found us from Grit magazine!  I'm so happy to have more readers who care about using their gardens to save money!

As promised, here is the second part of the recap I started last week -- the garden tallies for October.  This month, we had our first expenditure since May:  $25.18 for some peat moss and sand to start lightening up our soil in our grow boxes and the main garden.  To recap, for those of you who are new, I include expenditures of "perishable" things, like seeds, plants, and garden soil improvements.  I do not include expenses like tools or trellises that I will use year after year.  After all, no gear, no hobby!

As far as harvests, October is always modest.  We brought in the last of the tomatoes, with 57 ounces of green tomatoes coming inside to ripen.  We had a substantial basil harvest as we put up the last of the pesto, and we harvested nearly a pound of potatoes from our container potatoes.  Otherwise, the harvest included leeks and the last of the peppers.

Moving into November, we can expect a few more herbs and leeks, and some produce from our indoor grow beds and our "micro-orchard" trees.  I have a few things that I really have my fingers crossed on, so stay tuned!
2013 Tally to Date:
228.8 pounds harvested to date
$763.67 retail value
$459.79 net profit in grocery savings
Pin It!

No comments :

Post a Comment