Monday, July 9, 2012

How Much Does a Garden Grow: June

Finally!  June is here, and we are finally bringing in some actual harvests!  Yeah!

Big on this list this month was blueberries; even though I only harvested a few ounces from my two bushes, it was a definite savings.  Organic blueberries in season at Trader Joe's came in at $0.50 an ounce, so it is worth it to have your own supply.

Potatoes were another crop that started coming in this month.  The ones you see at the right were my volunteers; we didn't grow fingerlings this year, but we got a few surprise hills that came up on their own, likely from potatoes missed during digging last year.  Organic potatoes are relatively inexpensive to buy, but again, they made a wonderful treat.

The big "cash crop" of the month was the start of the zucchini harvest.  Organic zucchini at Trader Joe's is $2.99 a pound, and I started bringing in over a pound a day.  That means I recouped my seed costs pretty much the first day, and everything else has been profit.  I just love zucchini, and I love it even more because I don't think I ever would have tried it if I didn't decide to grow it some years ago.  I put it in absolutely everything, and right now we have both pasta and bread with zucchini in it.

Rounding out the month were some onion and carrot harvests, with more on the way.  All told, I harvested 7.75 pounds of produce in June.  There were no expenditures.  I expect July and August to be the real break-out months.

2012 Tally to Date
7.75 lbs. total harvested
$27.26 value of harvest for June
$34.30 value of harvest for 2012
$185.39 expenditures for 2012
-$151.09 loss to date
Pin It!

No comments :

Post a Comment